TRANSFER PROVISIONS APPLY TO RESIDENTS OF PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY ONLY
Transfer season for the 2014-15 school year
closes on April 30, 2014
Students will attend the appropriate school for their attendance area. Attendance areas are established for each school by the School Board. These attendance areas shall be established in a manner that best meets the needs of the students in the county.
Attendance areas shall also be established for each designated site program that serves more than one school. Prince William County residents, who are parents or guardians of students enrolled in Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS), may request a student transfer from their children’s base school for the following school year during the student transfer time period only.
Student Transfer Request Procedure:
Students must be enrolled in their base school before applying for a student transfer.
Click the following for procedure for appropriate grade level:
PWCS will consider approval f or transfer requests for the reasons outlined in:
These reasons are:
- Family Relocation (Attach lease or deed)
- Complete school year in the school year started
- Designated site program
- Child care (elementary/middle)
- Physical or Psychological needs
- Sequential curricular program (high school only)
- Senior Status (12th grade)
- SACC closure at base school
- PWCS Employee **37.5 or more hours and provide work location** Not allowed for designated site programs that require a lottery for acceptance of students)
Please click here to view the list of schools closed to transfers.
This list is subject to change daily.
Late applications will be accepted for the following reason only:
Family is new to PWC and moves into to PWC after the transfer deadlines.
Student Transfer Request Appeal Procedure:
- A request for a student transfer is a request, and consequently may be approved or denied. If a request for transfer is denied, the parent(s)/guardian(s) and/or student(s) shall have the opportunity to appeal the decision. The following is the appeal process:
- Student transfer appeals for students in grades 1-5 shall be in writing to the Supervisor of Elementary Counseling and Related Services. Student transfer appeals for students in grades 6-8 shall be in writing to the Supervisor of Secondary Counseling and Student Support Services in the Office of Student Services. The deadline for student transfer appeals for students in grades 1-8 is June 1.
- Appeal requests for kindergarten students who were registered prior to June 1 shall be in writing to the Supervisor of Elementary Counseling and Related Services by June 30.
- Appeal requests for kindergarten students who were registered after June 1 shall be in writing to the Supervisor of Elementary Counseling and Related Services within 30 days of registration.
- The Supervisor of Elementary Counseling and Related Services or the Supervisor of Secondary Counseling and Student Support Services in consultation with the Director of the Office of Student Services will review each case, and approve or deny the transfer appeal request. This decision is final.